Department of Infrastructure representatives today met with Derry City and Strabane District Council to update members on the Department’s programme for the area and progress on schemes underway.
TransportNI Western Divisional Network Development Manager, Harry Gallagher said:
“Additional funding secured in the October monitoring will facilitate the delivery of a further £1.072 million of structural maintenance work in the Council area this financial year. The Rural Roads Initiative has seen £560,000 spent on resurfacing c.10 kilometre of rural roads. This funding boost and the delivery of these works will provide significant benefits for both the local community and commuters.
“Over the summer period a significant number of resurfacing schemes were undertaken. These included the A2 Buncrana Road between Pennyburn Roundabout and Racecourse Road, the A2 Clooney Road at Caw, Upper Galliagh Road and Gorticross Road. The A5 Mulvin Road at Urbalreagh has also commenced and is progressing well."
Concluding Mr Gallagher said:
“It is also worth noting other infrastructure works recently completed include a short section of footway link at Woodend Road Strabane and the upgrade of two pedestrian crossings on Glengalliagh Road. In the New Year, work is commencing on the Brunswick Road/Kensington Road traffic calming scheme, resurfacing at Ferguson Crescent Castlederg and repairs to Toneduff Bridge, Claudy. A combined total of £5.3 million will be spent in Derry City and Strabane District Council area on works completed and programmed for the remainder of this financial year.”
Notes to editors:
- Media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office on 028 9054 0007 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Out of office hours please contact the duty press officer via pager number 07623 974 373 and your call will be returned.
- Follow the department on Twitter @deptinfra
- Minister O’Dowd welcomes bus strike suspension 16 May 2022
- Publication of ‘DVA Monthly Tests Conducted Statistics – April 2022’ 13 May 2022
- Road improvement scheme for Largymore Drive and Lansdowne Park, Lisburn 03 May 2022
- Temporary closure of lower deck of Craigavon Bridge, Londonderry 03 May 2022