Department of Infrastructure representatives today met with Derry City and Strabane District Council to update members on the Department’s programme for the area and progress on schemes underway.
TransportNI Western Divisional Network Development Manager, Harry Gallagher said:
“Additional funding secured in the October monitoring will facilitate the delivery of a further £1.072 million of structural maintenance work in the Council area this financial year. The Rural Roads Initiative has seen £560,000 spent on resurfacing c.10 kilometre of rural roads. This funding boost and the delivery of these works will provide significant benefits for both the local community and commuters.
“Over the summer period a significant number of resurfacing schemes were undertaken. These included the A2 Buncrana Road between Pennyburn Roundabout and Racecourse Road, the A2 Clooney Road at Caw, Upper Galliagh Road and Gorticross Road. The A5 Mulvin Road at Urbalreagh has also commenced and is progressing well."
Concluding Mr Gallagher said:
“It is also worth noting other infrastructure works recently completed include a short section of footway link at Woodend Road Strabane and the upgrade of two pedestrian crossings on Glengalliagh Road. In the New Year, work is commencing on the Brunswick Road/Kensington Road traffic calming scheme, resurfacing at Ferguson Crescent Castlederg and repairs to Toneduff Bridge, Claudy. A combined total of £5.3 million will be spent in Derry City and Strabane District Council area on works completed and programmed for the remainder of this financial year.”
Notes to editors:
- Media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office on 028 9054 0007 or email email@example.com. Out of office hours please contact the duty press officer via pager number 07623 974 373 and your call will be returned.
- Follow the department on Twitter @deptinfra
- Road improvement scheme for A21 Ballygowan Road, Ballygowan 02 June 2023
- Consultation on Northern Ireland Concessionary Fares Scheme launched 01 June 2023
- Road improvement scheme for Quay Street, Ardglass 24 May 2023
- Publication of ‘DfI Driver, Vehicle, Operator, and Enforcement Statistics 2022/23 Quarter Four’ 23 May 2023