Work on a £400,000 upgrade scheme to improve the shared footway and cycleway around the Craigavon Lakes has been substantially completed to enable it to be brought back into service ahead of the Christmas break.
The upgraded route provides an improved facility in the Craigavon area to encourage more walking, wheeling and cycling at this popular location.
Infrastructure Minister Nichola Mallon said:
“This significant investment to upgrade 5km of footway and cycleway around the Craigavon Lakes will benefit all who use this leisure facility for walking, wheeling and cycling.
“I am delighted that this shared footway and cycleway will be available for use over the Christmas period and I would encourage users to enjoy this new improved footway and cycleway within the current Covid regulations, during this welcome break.
“I would like to thank the users of this facility for their patience and cooperation while these works were completed.”
The improvement work involved the resurfacing and widening the existing shared footway and cycleway and associated drainage and signage. The Department liaised closely with Armagh City, Banbridge and Craigavon Borough Council to facilitate the upgrade to the route. Some ancillary line marking and signs on the route will be completed early in the New Year.
Notes to editors:
- The scheme was carried out by White Mountain Surfacing.
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hour’s service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow us on Twitter @deptinfra and on Facebook @DepartmentforInfrastructure
- Department launches public consultation on improvements to the planning application process 11 December 2023
- Publication of DVA Monthly Tests Conducted Statistics – November 2023 08 December 2023
- Newry, Mourne and Down District Council pledge to Share the Road to Zero 08 December 2023
- The Travel Survey for Northern Ireland In-depth Report 2021 has been published today 07 December 2023