A £195,000 LED lighting upgrade scheme for Armagh City centre has been completed.
The scheme is part of an £8 million investment in new LED street lights across Northern Ireland and involved the replacement of existing lights with a new energy efficient LED street lighting system with a predicted lifetime of approximately 25 years. The new lighting system will improve the night time environment, through improved quality and uniformity of lighting. The new lighting system included Ogle Street, Thomas Street, Market Street, Upper English Street, Russell Street, McCrums Court, Scotch Street, Dobbin Street, Linenhall Street, Abbey Lane and Dobbin Street Lane.
Infrastructure Minister John O’Dowd said:
“This significant investment will benefit everyone who travels and lives in the area. I am committed to addressing the issues which matter most to people and street lighting services are crucial in ensuring those driving, cycling, wheeling and walking can do so safely within their communities.
“This investment provides new modern LED lighting technology in Armagh City Centre and will importantly provide adequate street lighting that not only improves the quality of lighting but is also more energy efficient, given my commitment to climate action.
“I would like to thank the public and local businesses for their cooperation and compliance with all temporary traffic restrictions while these much needed works were completed.”
Notes to editors:
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office at: email@example.com.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra and on Facebook @DepartmentforInfrastructure
- O’Dowd visits Sion Mills Primary School to hear why pupils think the A5 should be upgraded 30 June 2022
- O’Dowd welcomes awarding of six road resurfacing contracts 30 June 2022
- Minister O’Dowd visits Waterways Ireland 28 June 2022
- O’Dowd celebrates female colleagues on International Women in Engineering Day 23 June 2022