A pilot lighting scheme along the urban section of the Comber Greenway goes live today.
Following consultation and engagement with local residents, the new lights between Beersbridge Road and Billy Neill Halt have been programmed to operate during hours of darkness up to 10.30 pm and after 6.00 am.
As well as providing a safer space for those who wish to walk, wheel or cycle all year round, the scheme has been designed with the local environment in mind. The design uses a red light spectrum to minimise disturbance to bat colonies, while back louvres on the light heads and shorter columns will minimise light spill into the hedgerows to shield wildlife and diminish light pollution into adjoining properties.
The pilot will be reviewed by the Department after two years and will help form a decision on whether the scheme should be extended elsewhere.
Notes to editors:
- The Comber Greenway is a popular traffic free route between Belfast and Comber however the number of people using it drop off during the evenings and in the winter months.
- The Public consultation ran from 16 August to 30 September 2021. There were approx. 1700 responses to the consultation indicating an 81% overall support for lighting the urban part of the greenway .
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra and on Facebook @DepartmentforInfrastructure
- Road Safety campaigns to reduce careless driving and speeding 01 December 2023
- The Department for Infrastructure announces intention to increase Strangford Lough Ferry fares 29 November 2023
- Publication of Young Persons’ Behaviour and Attitudes Survey 2022 Travel to and from School Factsheet 24 November 2023
- Antrim and Newtownabbey Borough Council Sign Pledge to Stop all Road Deaths in Northern Ireland 23 November 2023