The proposed scheme
The proposed Enniskillen bypass will provide a new transport link to the southern side of the town, improving the connection between the A4 Dublin Road and the A4 Sligo Road, which will include thr following:
- Construction of 2.1km single carriageway with overtaking lanes provided at each end of the new road;
- Construction of two roundabouts at the Dublin Road and Derrylin Road;
- Construction of two new river bridges over the River Erne and River Sillees;
- Provision of a 3.5m cycleway / footway along the full length of the Bypass and extending along the Dublin Road and Derrylin Road to connect into existing non-motorised user infrastructure; and
- Enhancement of non-motorised user facilities to include the provision of a Puffin crossing on the Derrylin Road
In addition, there are a number of scheme specific objectives which also assist in meeting the strategic guidance. These are to:
- Provide a strategic link for traffic wishing to bypass Enniskillen Town Centre;
- Reduce town centre congestion and enhance the town centre environment;
- Improve journey times and reliability;
- Improve road safety for all road users;
- Provide a good return on investment; and
- Respect and maintain the environment in the area surrounding the bypass.
Infrastructure Minister Nichola Mallon confirmed on 11 May 2021 her intention to proceed with the Enniskillen Southern Bypass scheme and make the statutory orders, having considered all of the environmental information and responses to the consultation of the scheme and the draft orders. The Departmental Statement was also published at this stage.
A town centre study is ongoing to identify active travel and place making measures that can be implemented after the Bypass has been delivered and traffic congestion within the town has been relieved.
The Minister's statement also confirmed that £2million has been approved to progress advance site works which includes site clearance, fencing and NIE diversionary works.
Progression to procurement and construction will however be subject to the availability of future funding.
A video of the proposed scheme is also available below.
The indicative cost of the Enniskillen Southern bypass is estimated to be in the range of £25 to £30 million.
- A4 Enniskillen Bypass - Departmental Statement
- A4 Enniskillen Bypass - Scheme assessment report 1
- A4 Enniskillen Bypass - Scheme assessment report 2
- A4 Enniskillen Bypass - Record of Determination
- A4 Enniskillen Bypass - Non Technical Summary
- A4 Enniskillen Bypass - Composite Notice
- A4 Enniskillen Southern Bypass - River Sillees Bridge Order
- A4 Enniskillen Southern Bypass - River Erne Bridge Order
- A4 Enniskillen Southern Bypass - River Erne (Diversion of Navigable Watercourse and Extinguishment of Public Rights of Navigation) Order
- A4 Enniskillen Bypass - Vesting Order map
- A4 Enniskillen Bypass - Direction Order map
- A4 Enniskillen Bypass - Environmental Impact Assessment Report
- A4 Enniskillen Bypass - Environmental Impact Assessment Appendices
- A4 Enniskillen Bypass - Overall Plan
Updated July 2021