Need for scheme
The A31 Magherafelt Bypass scheme is included within the Regional Strategic Transport Network Transport Plan 2015, and the Investment Delivery Plan for Roads (2008). The existing A31 passes through Magherafelt town centre. As a result, through traffic negotiates several urban junctions, coming into conflict with local town centre road users. This can cause long traffic queues and associated delays, at peak times in particular.
The proposed scheme
The proposed bypass comprises 5.9 kilometres of single and 2+1 carriageway to the east of Magherafelt town. It extends from the A31 Moneymore Road at its junction with Coolshinny Road in the south, to the A6 Castledawson Roundabout in the north. New roundabouts are proposed at key junctions while three existing minor roads will be bridged over.
The environmental statement, notice of intention to make a Direction Order and notice of intention to make a Vesting Order were published in June 2008. The Direction Order for the Magherafelt Bypass became operational in October 2010.
The Minister confirmed funding for the scheme on 21 October 2013. The Vesting Order was published in April 2014 and became operative on 6 May 2014.
The contract start date is 19 February 2015, running for a period of 20 months, with completion expected in late 2016. The main works began on site in June 2015 and are progressing well with the contractor BAM-McCann JV making good progress during October’s dry weather, particularly the earth moving operations.
Through the winter months the construction focus will shift towards a number of structures across the site.
This video fly through of the works helps illustrate progress.
- A31 Magherafelt Bypass - Scheme information
- A31 Magherafelt Bypass - Scheme assessment report 1
- A31 Magherafelt Bypass - Scheme assessment report 2
- A31 Magherafelt Bypass - Scheme assessment report 3
- A31 Magherafelt Bypass - Environmental statement
- A31 Magherafelt Bypass - photographs of work carried out in September 2015
- A31 Magherafelt Bypass - photographs of work carried out in October 2015
- A31 Magherafelt Bypass - photographs of work carried out in December 2015
- Notice of Opening - A31 Magherafelt Bypass
Updated 15 November 2017