The Department for Infrastructure has announced the appointment of three Non-Executive Board Members.
Moya Johnston MBE and Mr Frank Kirkland have been appointed as Non-Executive Board Members (NEBM) to the Departmental Board. Mr Enda McKeever has been appointed to the Driver Vehicle Agency (DVA) Board.
Moya Johnston will also chair the Department’s Audit and Risk Assurance Committee, Frank Kirkland will chair the Major Projects Committee and Enda McKeever will Chair the DVA Audit and Risk Assurance Committee.
Every government department in NI has a departmental board which supports the Accounting Officer in the discharge of his or her obligations as set out in Managing Public Money NI. The board also supports senior officials in directing the business of the department in as effective and efficient way as possible to ensure delivery of statutory responsibilities and ministerial priorities.
The primary role of a non-executive board member is to contribute to good governance of the organisation. They offer constructive challenge across the organisation’s business with a view to ensuring that all aspects of strategy and delivery of policy are scrutinised for effectiveness and efficiency.
All three appointments are for a period of three years effective from 04 January 2022.
Notes to editors:
- Moya Johnston has over 20 years’ experience working in senior roles in Finance and Operations, having worked for Survitec from 1990 to 2019. A member of the Charted Institute of Management Accountants, she has held roles as Finance Director, Managing Director and Vice President of Manufacturing with responsibility for product design and development within their Global network of businesses in the Marine, Defence and Aviation sectors. In 2017 she was awarded an MBE in the Queen’s Birthday Honours list for her contribution to the social and economic development of NI. She does not hold any public appointments.
- Professor Frank Kirkland has extensive leadership experience of major engineering programmes, having worked for Rolls-Royce plc latterly as Chief Designer-Civil Aerospace. He has chaired the Rolls-Royce Fellowship, a group of world class engineering experts and also chaired the Institution of Mechanical Engineers Aerospace Division, between 2008 and 2011. Since 2019 Professor Kirkland has been at Queen’s University Belfast researching Engineering Systems and Aircraft Structures. He does not hold any public appointments.
- Enda McKeever has 38 years’ manufacturing and business experience with two of Northern Ireland’s leading manufacturing employers Caterpillar and Spirit (formerly Bombardier) holding positions of progressive responsibility during these tenures. He completed his formal education with both a primary and a master degree in Engineering at Queens University Belfast and consistent with a passion for lifelong learning he has undertaken personal development in Japan, France and the US working with some of foremost experts in lean manufacturing and business development. Today he is a self-employed business consultant and is currently on secondment with InvestNI supporting local businesses as a business advisor, coach and mentor. He does not hold any public appointments.
- Non-Executive Board Members are paid an attendance fee of £500 per day. The time commitment is approximately 20 days annually.
- All appointments are made on merit. Political activity plays no part in the selection process. However, in accordance with the original Nolan recommendations, there is a requirement for appointees’ political activity to be made public. Moya, Frank and Enda have declared no political activity.
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure at firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Executive Information Service operates an out-of-hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra and on Facebook @DepartmentforInfrastructure.
- Minister meets Construction Employers Federation 09 August 2022
- Resurfacing scheme for Market Street, Ballycastle to commence 05 August 2022
- Interim Strabane Flood Alleviation Scheme to progress - O’Dowd 04 August 2022
- Infrastructure Minister meets Unite Union 03 August 2022