Preparatory work will commence on Monday 24th April 2017 on the scheme which is expected to be completed by late June.
This significant resurfacing scheme, on the main road from Newry to Belfast, will provide almost 1km of new asphalt road surface, footways and associated drainage improvement works.
The resurfacing works extend from the junction with New Street, to just beyond the junction with Ashgrove Road.
The scheme will involve replacing kerbs and footway from the Downshire Road roundabout to 200m beyond Niall Clarke Oils. These works will require the footway and parking lay-by to be closed while work is being carried out. Pedestrians will be diverted to the footway on the opposite side of the road.
Following the completion of initial preparatory footway and drainage works a temporary one-way system from New Street to Damolly roundabout will be implemented for approximately three weeks to facilitate the completion of the works. It is envisaged that the one way system will be implemented from Monday 12 June 2017.
The one-way system will divert traffic via A28 onto A27 Armagh Road arriving at Newry Court House. HGV traffic will be diverted via the A1 onto the Dublin Road to access Newry City. Works are anticipated to be substantially completed by Friday 7 July 2017.
The above planned dates are subject to favourable weather conditions and the public will be kept informed of any change.
The Department for Infrastructure has carefully programmed the works operations and traffic management arrangements in order to minimise any inconvenience to the public, however motorists should be aware that some delays may be expected and that additional time should be allowed when planning any journeys.
For traffic information and news of improvement schemes across Northern Ireland visit: http://www.trafficwatchni.com/
Notes to editors:
1. All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office on 028 9054 0007 or email: email@example.com. Out of office hours please contact the duty press officer via pager number 07623 974 383.
2. See photos from the Department for Infrastructure in our Flickr collection: https://www.flickr.com/photos/niexecutive/collections
3. Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra
- Publication of Travel Survey For Northern Ireland 2013-2015 Urban-Rural Report 25 May 2017
- Publication of DfI Driver, Vehicle, Operator and Enforcement Statistics Annual 2016-2017 25 May 2017
- Council gets update on infrastructure projects for Newry Mourne and Down 23 May 2017
- Council gets update on infrastructure projects for Causeway Coast and Glens 23 May 2017