Infrastructure Minister John O’Dowd has welcomed progress on the All Island Rail Review which is due to complete by the end of this year.
Minister O’Dowd said:
“I recently received an update from my officials working on the All Island Rail Review who confirmed that work on the Report is continuing and is due to be finalised at the end of this year. I want to keep the momentum of this vitally important work and to reaffirm my commitment to it.
“As we seek to connect communities and tackle the climate emergency, this Review will be vital in providing a vision of how our rail network can support our strategic objectives. With that in mind, I have asked my officials to continue to progress this work with their counterparts in the South.
“In addition - and without pre-empting the results of the All Island Rail Review - I have also asked my officials to explore funding opportunities for feasibility studies into the following areas:
- a new rail line between Derry and Portadown;
- reopening the Knockmore line with a connection to Belfast International Airport;
- electrification of Belfast to Newry line; and
- better connections between the rail halt to Belfast City airport.
“I am keen that we continue to be ambitious around our rail network and look forward to a future where people across this island, in particular those in rural areas, have greater access to rail travel.”
Notes to editors:
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra and on Facebook @DepartmentforInfrastructure
- Road improvement scheme for A21 Ballygowan Road, Ballygowan 02 June 2023
- Consultation on Northern Ireland Concessionary Fares Scheme launched 01 June 2023
- Road improvement scheme for Quay Street, Ardglass 24 May 2023
- Publication of ‘DfI Driver, Vehicle, Operator, and Enforcement Statistics 2022/23 Quarter Four’ 23 May 2023