Infrastructure Minister, John O’Dowd has today issued a Notice of Opinion to approve for 699 residential units, public spaces and completion of the northern section of the Ballyclare Relief Road, Ballyclare.
The Minister has decided that consent should be granted.
Minister O’Dowd said:
“Approval has already been granted for the Northern and Southern sections of the Relief Road. This latest approval can act as a catalyst to pave the way for the completion of the Ballyclare Relief Road.
“This key component of the overall development will aid in the delivery of long-term benefits for commuters using the route by improving journey time and reliability as well as providing traffic relief for Ballyclare town centre by providing an alternative route for traffic.
“I also believe that the construction of new homes will deliver community benefits and be a key driver in stimulating economic growth. It will also support various construction jobs and allow facilitation of workforce management over the wider development. I look forward to the applicant delivering this development so that these benefits can be realised.”
Notes to editors:
- Ref Number: LA03/2020/0881/RM
- Proposal: Reserved matters application for major urban extension to include housing, northern section of Ballyclare Relief Road, public open spaces and associated development following outline permission granted under U/2009/0405/O.
- Location: Lands adjacent to the North-West of Ballyclare extending from Rashee Road close to its junction with Cogry Road continuing across to the North of Ross Avenue/Clare Heights and North and West of Ballyclare Rugby Club to the North of Doagh Road.
- Applicant: Ballyclare Developments Ltd
- The principle of the overall housing and road development at Ballyclare has been established by the granting of two outline planning permissions (U/2006/0377/O and U/2009/0405/O) in January 2011 by the former DOE for a major urban extension to the north and west side of Ballyclare Town.
- The current application (LA03/2020/0881/RM) is a ‘Reserved Matter’ application relating to outline permission U/2009/0405/O and seeks to approve housing, northern section of Ballyclare Relief Road and public open spaces.
- A Notice of Opinion to approve the reserved matters application will now issue to the local Council (Antrim Newtownabbey Borough Council) and the applicant.
- The Department granted approval for the Southern section of the Ballyclare Relief Road in May 2019.
- The Department granted approval for the Northern section of the Ballyclare Relief Road in June 2021.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for Media Enquiries Only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra and on Facebook @DepartmentforInfrastructure.
- O’Dowd visits Sion Mills Primary School to hear why pupils think the A5 should be upgraded 30 June 2022
- O’Dowd welcomes awarding of six road resurfacing contracts 30 June 2022
- Minister O’Dowd visits Waterways Ireland 28 June 2022
- O’Dowd celebrates female colleagues on International Women in Engineering Day 23 June 2022