Infrastructure Minister John O’Dowd has today confirmed that his Department will play a greater role in the delivery of greenways.
Minister O’Dowd said: “Given the climate emergency, it is important that more greenways are developed so that people are encouraged to walk, wheel and cycle rather than use other forms of transport to help reduce our carbon emissions and improve health and wellbeing. The responsibility for greenway development rests with Councils and whilst much good progress has been made, I have decided that my Department will take a greater role in the delivery of greenways to help push this work forward.
“This new delivery model is still being developed, however Councils will still have a lead role and the projects would continue to be funded jointly. My officials will be in contact with Councils as work progresses to discuss the new delivery model and how we can better work together to speed up delivery. Public consultation will continue to be a key aspect in taking forward projects in local areas.
“I welcome the work performed by Sustrans with the Councils to date and I trust that they will continue to provide support as the new delivery model is developed. Investing in active travel is important in addressing the climate emergency and by providing additional delivery support, my Department plans to help Councils deliver their ambitions in the development of greenways in the future.”
Notes to editors:
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office at: email@example.com
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra and on Facebook @DepartmentforInfrastructure
- Road improvement scheme for A21 Ballygowan Road, Ballygowan 02 June 2023
- Consultation on Northern Ireland Concessionary Fares Scheme launched 01 June 2023
- Road improvement scheme for Quay Street, Ardglass 24 May 2023
- Publication of ‘DfI Driver, Vehicle, Operator, and Enforcement Statistics 2022/23 Quarter Four’ 23 May 2023