Infrastructure Minister Nichola Mallon has expressed her deep concern as Translink confirmed there has been an incident involving a burning car on the train track near Bellarena.
Minister Mallon said:
“I am deeply concerned and troubled by the incident near Bellarena this evening. The train travelling from Belfast to Derry was brought thankfully to a stop by the train driver who acted quickly before the train reached the burning car on the track.
“I am so relieved to hear that passengers and crew are all safe. It is unimaginable to think what could have happened this evening had it not been for the prompt action of the driver and crew. I want to express my gratitude to them and to the emergency services.
“I would urge anyone with any information about this incident to contact the PSNI.”
Notes to editors:
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office at: email@example.com.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra and on Facebook @DepartmentforInfrastructure
- The DVA re-opens its practical driving test booking system for all customers with more capacity in the system 07 May 2021
- Road improvement scheme for Fenaghy Road, Cullybackey 06 May 2021
- Road improvement scheme for South Belfast 06 May 2021
- Mallon welcomes new bicycle repair station on Lagan Towpath at Lisburn 04 May 2021