Infrastructure Minister, Nichola Mallon has approved adjustments to public transport services in response to new Covid-19 restrictions.
From Saturday 26 December 2020, Translink Bus and Rail Services will operate a reduced timetable of essential services.
Minister Mallon said:
“We are approaching the festive period at the end of what has been a difficult year for everyone. As we continue to work together to fight COVID-19, I have agreed reductions in public transport services as we move into this 6-week period of restrictions. These arrangements will allow Translink to concentrate resources on running essential services only during the period of restrictions.
“As I have made clear on many occasions, the safety of passengers and staff on our public transport network is my priority and in approving these changes, Translink has assured me that social distancing will be maintained in line with PHA guidelines and that services will be closely monitored for capacity issues.
“As we enter a period of new restrictions, I am asking for your support and would ask everyone only to travel if their journey is essential. If you do need to use public transport for an essential journey, I would again reiterate that you must wear a face covering. These requirements are part of the continuing effort that all of us must make to reduce the risk of transmission of Covid-19. I encourage everyone to continue to play their part.
“I want to thank everyone for their support in staying safe as we continue to address the pandemic. Please do everything you can to protect yourself, protect your family and protect your community. Acting to keep each other safe is the best gift we can give each other this Christmas.”
Notes to editors:
- Full details of the new timetables are available on Translink’s website and journey planner at www.translink.co.uk
- More information on Covid-19 – including the latest guidelines, support and advice - is available on the nidirect website at www.nidirect.gov.uk/coronavirus
- All media queries should be directed to the DfI Press Office at email@example.com. Out of office hours please contact the duty press officer on 028 9037 8110.
- LED street lighting upgrade for Newcastle Main Street 15 January 2021
- Publication of DVA Monthly Tests Conducted Statistics – December 2020 15 January 2021
- Mallon receives new powers to provide further financial assistance scheme for taxi drivers 14 January 2021
- Road improvement scheme at Dublin Road, Castlewellan to commence 14 January 2021