Infrastructure Minister, Nichola Mallon has announced that a £225,000 resurfacing scheme on the Leitrim Road, Castlewellan will begin on Monday 17 February 2020.
The resurfacing work will extend a distance of 1,300 metres from the road’s junction with McCartan’s Road to just short of Dolly’s Brae junction.
Minister Mallon said:
“I have made clear my intent to tackle the regional imbalance in infrastructure. I want any investment in roads to reflect the need across our entire network. I am pleased to announce this road improvement scheme on the Leitrim Road, which represents an investment of £225,000 in the Leitrim area. This scheme will greatly enhance the road surface for all who use it and will better connect the local community and visitors to the area for many years to come.”
To help ensure the safety of those using the roads, it will be necessary to operate a daily weekday road closure (Monday – Friday) between the hours of 8.00 am and 6.00 pm from Monday 17 February until Friday 13 March. A signed diversion will be in place via Dolly’s Brae, Magheramayo Road and McCartans Road and vice versa.
The road will be open to traffic in the evenings during the week and all day Saturday and Sunday.
The Department has programmed the work and traffic management arrangements to minimise any inconvenience, however, drivers should expect some delays and are advised to leave additional time when planning any journeys.
Completion of the work by 13 March, is dependent on favourable weather conditions.
For traffic information about this and other improvement schemes visit: www.trafficwatchni.com.
Notes to editors:
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office on 028 9054 0007. Out of hours please contact the duty press officer on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra and on Facebook @DepartmentforInfrastructure.
- Mallon delivers MOT test centres to help fight COVID-19 06 April 2020
- Minister Mallon announces appointment of the Chair for the Board of Northern Ireland Water 01 April 2020
- Mallon urges the public to support frontline workers 30 March 2020
- Statistical press release – Public transport journey planning in Northern Ireland 2018/2019 26 March 2020