Infrastructure Minister Nichola Mallon has announced the appointment of two Non-Executive Members to the Board of Warrenpoint Harbour Authority (WHA).
Minister Mallon said:
“I am pleased to announce a first term appointment for Fiona Hanna and a second term appointment for Richard Johnston.
“The Port has ambitious development plans which will provide support as it recovers from the pandemic and takes advantage new of opportunities, as well as supporting the local economy and providing opportunities for growth. The Port will also have a focus on working with stakeholders and partners in bringing forward important strategic projects such as the Narrow Water Bridge and the Southern Relief Road. I am confident that the experience Fiona and Richard bring, will be of considerable value to the Board in the years ahead”.
The appointments will take effect from 1 August 2021 and will be for a maximum of four years.
The appointments have been made in accordance with the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland’s Code of Practice.
Notes to editors:
- Warrenpoint Harbour Authority is a corporate body, having perpetual succession and was first constituted by the Warrenpoint Harbour Authority Order (Northern Ireland) 1971. Its constitution is now enshrined in the Warrenpoint Harbour Authority Order (Northern Ireland) 2002. Warrenpoint Harbour Authority Orders of 1971 and 2002 conferred powers on the Authority to preserve, improve and manage the Port of Warrenpoint. The Authority also has the power to construct and maintain specific works, to levy dues, to deal with abandoned vessels and to make bylaws.
- At the 1 August the Harbour Authority Board will have a membership of a Chair, seven Non-Executive Members, this includes three councillors from Newry, Mourne and Down District Council and two Executive Members. The Non-Executive Members currently receive remuneration of £7,807 per annum.
- The Department for Infrastructure does not reappoint board members automatically to a second term. All appointments are made through open public competition.
- Richard Johnston is an Economist who has held a wide range of roles in the public, private, academic and third sectors. Richard’s work focuses on growing the economy, boosting competitiveness and the inclusion of all groups throughout NI. He is currently a member of the Department for Economy’s Ministerial Economic Advisory Group, a Trustee of the Inspire Business Centre and he was a member of the Ministerial Advisory Panel on Infrastructure. These positions are not remunerated. Richard was first appointed to the WHA in November 2016.
- Fiona Hanna is a Chartered Accountant with a range of experience across finance and business including a number of positions as an independent advisor and a non-executive director. Currently Fiona’s primary role is jointly running an arable farming enterprise in South County Down, managing this alongside her advisory portfolio. Fiona is a Board Member of Agri-Food & Biosciences Institute (remuneration received £402 per day) and a member of the Northern Ireland Food Advisory Committee of the Food Standards Agency (remuneration - £3,885 per annum, based on 21 days per annum).
- All appointments are made on merit and political activity plays no part in the selection process. However, the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland requires the political activity of appointees to be published. Mr Johnston and Mrs Hanna have declared that they have not undertaken any recent political activity.
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press at email@example.com. The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra.
- Road improvement scheme for A21 Ballygowan Road, Ballygowan 02 June 2023
- Consultation on Northern Ireland Concessionary Fares Scheme launched 01 June 2023
- Road improvement scheme for Quay Street, Ardglass 24 May 2023
- Publication of ‘DfI Driver, Vehicle, Operator, and Enforcement Statistics 2022/23 Quarter Four’ 23 May 2023