Infrastructure Minister Chris Hazzard today announced that proposals for introducing a weight limit for vehicles in Hillsborough have taken a step closer.
Advertisements of the Notice of Intention to introduce a 7.5 tonne weight limit within the Conservation area of Hillsborough in a phased approach will appear this week. Under the proposals the first phase would apply to the stretch of Lisburn Street from the Culcavy Road to the Ballynahinch Road/ Main Street junction.
Minister Hazzard said:
“The scheme is aimed at reducing the large numbers of Heavy Goods Vehicle (HGV) traffic that travels through Hillsborough on a daily basis whilst still allowing businesses, within and adjoining the weight limit area, to function normally.
“We have listened to the concerns of residents and these proposals could mean a significant reduction in the current level of HGV traffic which would improve pedestrian safety and enhance the environment of this conservation area. We are suggesting a phased approach which will give the opportunity to monitor the scheme and introduce further phases if necessary."
Notes to editors:
- The legislative process for the introduction of a weight limit includes the Notice of Intention which allows individuals to make representations or object to the proposal within 22 days of the date of the placing of the advertisement. The advertisement will appear in the daily papers on Wednesday 17 August 2016 and in the Ulster Star on 19 August 2016.
- The representation period ends on the 9 September.
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office on 028 9054 0007. Out of hours please contact the duty press officer via pager number 076 9971 5440 and your call will be returned.
See photos from the Department for Infrastructure in our Flickr collection:
Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra
- O’Dowd grants planning permission for Kells Solar Farm 06 October 2022
- Road improvement scheme for Carnreagh Road, Hillsborough 06 October 2022
- O’Dowd joins pupils to celebrate 50th Anniversary of Road Safety Teaching Calendar 06 October 2022
- Road improvement scheme for Lough Road, Lisburn 06 October 2022