Infrastructure Minister Chris Hazzard has announced the start of a £600,000 Flood Alleviation Scheme at Newbridge Road, Lisnaskea.
Funding from the Fermanagh Flooding Task Force provided a short-term solution for the flooding which occurred in 2009, 2010 and 2015. This substantial new project aims to provide a piled foundation for the road to ensure that settlement will not occur.
Minister Chris Hazzard said:
“TransportNI is undertaking this work to prevent having to close this important rural road should we see another flooding event like those that occurred in previous years. This significant local investment will help resolve ongoing flooding issues associated with this road by improving the road’s strength and surface quality.
“The improvements will deliver benefits for the local community and visitors to the Fermanagh area for many years to come.”
To help ensure the safety of road users and contractors the works will be carried out under road closure and a temporary pass controlled by traffic lights will be used. Well signed diversions will be in operation and local access will be maintained.
The road will be closed for a period of up to 3 months. During this period cars, light vehicles and school busses will have use of the temporary road. pass. A weight restriction will be applied - HGV’s will be required to use the diversion route via C436 Innishmore Road.
Dates are subject to favourable weather conditions, TransportNI will keep the public informed of any change.
TransportNI has carefully programmed the works operations and traffic management arrangements in order to minimise any inconvenience to the public, however motorists should be aware that some delays may be expected and that additional time should be allowed when planning any journeys.
Work on a temporary road, adjacent to the existing road, to facilitate light traffic will commence on Monday 12 December and will be completed before Christmas 2016. The main work will commence in the New Year and is expected to be completed by March 2017
Notes to editors:
1. All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office on 028 9054 0007 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Out of office hours please contact the duty press officer via pager number 07623 974 383 and your call will be returned.
2. See photos from the Department for Infrastructure in our Flickr collection: https://www.flickr.com/photos/niexecutive/collections/72157669044006236/
3. Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra.
- £150,000 resurfacing scheme on Marble Arch Road, Florencecourt 10 December 2018
- £140,000 resurfacing scheme on Moyad Road, Kilkeel 07 December 2018
- Publication of DfI Driver, Vehicle, Operator and Enforcement Statistics 2018-19 Q2 06 December 2018
- £165,000 resurfacing scheme on Ashgrove Road, Portadown 03 December 2018