The new Department for Infrastructure (DfI) comes into effect today.
The functions of the new department include:
- the functions of the former Department for Regional Development (DRD)
- Rivers Agency from the former Department of Agriculture and Rural Development (DARD)
- the Driver and Vehicle Agency (DVA)
- vehicle regulation from the former Department of the Environment (DOE)
- road safety (DOE)
- strategic planning (DOE)
- inland waterways from Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure (DCAL)
- the Crumlin Road Gaol programme and St Lucia (ex-Ministry of Defence site) from OFMDFM
The changes are all part of the ‘Fresh Start’ agreement which involves restructuring the Northern Ireland government departments and reducing them in number from 12 to nine.
An overview of the departmental changes, including their functions, is available at nidirect.
News releases from April 2007 are available to view on the Public Records Northern Ireland (PRONI) website.
- Infrastructure Minister Nichola Mallon encourages the public to conserve water 31 May 2020
- Victoria Road, Bready to be closed for resurfacing this weekend 29 May 2020
- Resurfacing scheme to commence on Annadale Embankment, Belfast 29 May 2020
- Resurfacing scheme for Barony Road, Mountfield 28 May 2020