The new Department for Infrastructure (DfI) comes into effect today.
The functions of the new department include:
- the functions of the former Department for Regional Development (DRD)
- Rivers Agency from the former Department of Agriculture and Rural Development (DARD)
- the Driver and Vehicle Agency (DVA)
- vehicle regulation from the former Department of the Environment (DOE)
- road safety (DOE)
- strategic planning (DOE)
- inland waterways from Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure (DCAL)
- the Crumlin Road Gaol programme and St Lucia (ex-Ministry of Defence site) from OFMDFM
The changes are all part of the ‘Fresh Start’ agreement which involves restructuring the Northern Ireland government departments and reducing them in number from 12 to nine.
An overview of the departmental changes, including their functions, is available at nidirect.
News releases from April 2007 are available to view on the Public Records Northern Ireland (PRONI) website.
- Road resurfacing scheme for Quay Road, Ballycastle 02 December 2020
- Road improvement scheme for Cairn Road, Carrickfergus 01 December 2020
- Mallon announces £66million programme for 145 zero and low emission buses in effort to deliver Green Recovery 01 December 2020
- Council receives an update on Roads infrastructure projects for Newry Mourne and Down District Council area 30 November 2020