The new Department for Infrastructure (DfI) comes into effect today.
The functions of the new department include:
- the functions of the former Department for Regional Development (DRD)
- Rivers Agency from the former Department of Agriculture and Rural Development (DARD)
- the Driver and Vehicle Agency (DVA)
- vehicle regulation from the former Department of the Environment (DOE)
- road safety (DOE)
- strategic planning (DOE)
- inland waterways from Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure (DCAL)
- the Crumlin Road Gaol programme and St Lucia (ex-Ministry of Defence site) from OFMDFM
The changes are all part of the ‘Fresh Start’ agreement which involves restructuring the Northern Ireland government departments and reducing them in number from 12 to nine.
An overview of the departmental changes, including their functions, is available at nidirect.
News releases from April 2007 are available to view on the Public Records Northern Ireland (PRONI) website.
- Ministers visit Narrow Water to provide update on iconic Narrow Water Bridge 15 October 2021
- Department for Infrastructure withdraws Planning Advice Notice on Development in the Countryside 15 October 2021
- Road improvement scheme for Cherryvalley, Belfast 14 October 2021
- Road improvement scheme for Ballymacarrett Road, Belfast 14 October 2021