The new Department for Infrastructure (DfI) comes into effect today.
The functions of the new department include:
- the functions of the former Department for Regional Development (DRD)
- Rivers Agency from the former Department of Agriculture and Rural Development (DARD)
- the Driver and Vehicle Agency (DVA)
- vehicle regulation from the former Department of the Environment (DOE)
- road safety (DOE)
- strategic planning (DOE)
- inland waterways from Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure (DCAL)
- the Crumlin Road Gaol programme and St Lucia (ex-Ministry of Defence site) from OFMDFM
The changes are all part of the ‘Fresh Start’ agreement which involves restructuring the Northern Ireland government departments and reducing them in number from 12 to nine.
An overview of the departmental changes, including their functions, is available at nidirect.
News releases from April 2007 are available to view on the Public Records Northern Ireland (PRONI) website.
- Resurfacing scheme for Portadown Road, Armagh 22 September 2023
- Launch of recruitment competition for Chair to the Board of Londonderry Port and Harbour Commissioners 21 September 2023
- Resurfacing scheme for Aghory Road, Richhill 20 September 2023
- Department announces appointments to Board of Londonderry Port and Harbour Commissioners 19 September 2023