The Department for Infrastructure has today issued a draft revised regional strategic planning policy on renewable and low carbon energy for 12 weeks public consultation.
The aim of the review is to ensure that planning policy remains fit for purpose and up-to-date to inform plan-making and decision-taking in relation to renewable and low carbon energy planning applications, while reflecting our commitment to the Energy Strategy and the Climate Change (Northern Ireland) Act 2022, which has established a renewable electricity consumption target of 80% by 2030.
The launch of the public consultation today follows an earlier targeted engagement exercise with key stakeholders, including those from the renewable energy and environment sectors. Findings from that exercise and ongoing engagement with stakeholders and statutory bodies have helped to inform the policy development process and this draft revised policy document which is now being issued for full public consultation.
Whilst it is clear that there is overwhelming support for the need for revisions in this area, the revised policy seeks to carefully balance the differing perspectives between the importance of our climate change commitments while also protecting our valued natural and built environment and landscapes.
The consultation documents are available at Draft Renewable and Low Carbon Energy
The consultation is open until 5.00 pm on 30 June 2023.
Once the consultation closes the Department will give careful consideration to all responses. Finalising the policy will be considered in light of the decision making legislation in place at that time, should there be an absence of Ministers.
Notes to editors:
- Regional planning policy for renewable energy is contained in the Strategic Planning Policy Statement (SPPS) for Northern Ireland, published September 2015.
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office at: email@example.com.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra on Facebook @DepartmentforInfrastructure and on LinkedIn at Department for Infrastructure.
- Road improvement scheme for A21 Ballygowan Road, Ballygowan 02 June 2023
- Consultation on Northern Ireland Concessionary Fares Scheme launched 01 June 2023
- Road improvement scheme for Quay Street, Ardglass 24 May 2023
- Publication of ‘DfI Driver, Vehicle, Operator, and Enforcement Statistics 2022/23 Quarter Four’ 23 May 2023