Our commitment to you
We are committed to providing our customers with high quality standards of service. We welcome your comments on the quality of service you have received and your suggestions on how we can continue to improve.
When you contact or visit any of our offices you will be treated with courtesy and respect at all times. Officials will give their names in person, over the telephone and in correspondence.
If any of our staff have reason to visit your property, they will contact you in advance to seek your permission and arrange a mutually acceptable time.
Areas of responsibility
The Department for Infrastructure (DfI) is one of nine Northern Ireland Departments. The main responsibilities of the Department are:
- regional strategic planning and development policy
- transport strategy and sustainable transport policy
- public transport policy and performance
- road safety and vehicle regulation policy, including strategies to reduce the number of people killed or seriously injured on our roads
- driver and operator licensing and driver and vehicle testing
- provision and maintenance of all public roads
- certain policy and support work for air and sea ports
- river and sea defence maintenance and the construction of flood alleviation schemes
- provision of flood maps and risk information
- policy on water and sewerage services and management of the Department’s shareholder interest in Northern Ireland Water
Requests for service
If you wish to report a fault, such as a street light outage or a pothole on the road network, please use the portal on our website or through nidirect using the following link:
If you are unhappy with the quality of our service, we will look at your complaint in a positive way and deal with it as quickly as possible. We will fully and fairly investigate your complaint, keep you informed of progress, offer a full explanation of the circumstances and take appropriate action.
We also want to know how we can put things right. We therefore want to learn from our mistakes so that we can improve the quality of service we provide to you.
Please note this complaints procedure does not include appeals about Departmental decisions nor does it include matters of policy or legislation which are the direct responsibility of the Minster.
TransportNI Claims Unit complaints
To make a complaint regarding TransportNI Claims Unit go to the nidirect website using this link:
Driver and Vehicle Agency (DVA)
To make a complaint regarding DVA go to the nidirect website using this link:
To make a complaint regarding Planning Service go to the nidirect website using this link:
Equality or Freedom of Information complaints
To make a complaint on the grounds of Equality or Freedom of Information, please select the relevant link below:
Complaints about other Departmental functions
To make a complaint regarding the remaining departmental functions (including TransportNI and Rivers Agency), what standards you can expect when you do so, and what you can do if you are still dissatisfied, see:
If you are unsure who to contact in relation to your complaint the Department’s Coordination Unit will be able to help you reach the right person.
- telephone: 028 9054 1143 (text relay prefix 18001)
- fax: 028 9054 0642
- e-mail: DCU@infrastructure-ni.gov.uk