The A28 Armagh East Link proposal includes a single carriageway link road, approximately 2.5km long, linking the A3 and A28 Trunk Roads. This will also incorporate a junction with the A51 Hamiltonsbawn Road, a third radial route leaving the city centre. The proposed route would run from the junction of A28 Markethill Road and Ardmore Road, extending northwards to a proposed junction with A3 Portadown Road to the city side of Linsey’s Heights. The proposed road would utilise the existing Ardmore Road, the existing road through Hamiltonsbawn Road Industrial Estate and a small part of the Linsey’s Heights Road.
The Department recently completed a comprehensive review of the route that was first announced in June 2014. On the basis of updated environmental, economic and engineering assessments, the review has concluded that the route announced in 2014 remains the preferred route.
The next step would then be to provide a 'specimen design' which will be subject to comprehensive environmental, economic and engineering assessments. The formal statutory procedures will then follow with the publication of an Environmental Impact Assessment together with a Notice of Intention to make a Direction Order and a Notice of Intention to make a Vesting Order.
The indicative costs of the A28 Armagh East Link are estimated to be £20 million.
- 13 March 2006 - Public Information day in Armagh City Hotel
- 20 March 2007 - Public Information day in Armagh City Hotel
- 11 June 2014 - Public Information day in Armagh City Hotel
- 22 July 2019 - Stage 2 scheme assessment report approved
- A28 Armagh East Link - stage 2 scheme assessment report
- A28 Armagh East Link - stage 1 scheme assessment report
Last updated 20 August 2019