I have recently met with a number of constituents expressing their concern regarding taxi licensing.
On that basis and to glean an understanding of the current position, I would be grateful if you would furnish me with the information requested below.
- Please indicate what and how background checks are conducted on taxi drivers who are foreign nationals, prior to the receipt of their taxi license?
- Why are those who hold a taxi license in GB not permitted to hold a taxi license in Northern Ireland without starting the process from scratch?
- Is this also the case for taxi drivers who hold a taxi license in the Republic of Ireland?
- Are drivers who hold Northern Ireland taxi license permitted to transfer their taxi license to mainland GB or ROI without having to start the application process from scratch?
- How many female taxi drivers were registered in Northern Ireland in each of the last 5 years?
- Why is there a delay of 1 week between passing the PSV test and receiving plates?
- Please confirm whether test centres are only or have been only conducting taxi testing on one day per week. If so, please outline when and why?
- Please clarify how car showrooms are permitted to hold a number of pre-approved PSV taxis when each PSV should be attached to a specific driver?
- How much has the DVA received in administration fees for the addition and removal of taxis and drivers in each of the last 5 years?
- How much has it cost the DVA in administration fees to add and remove taxis and drivers from their database in each of the last 5 years?
- Who instigated the change from taxi drivers carrying 1 litre fire extinguishers to 2 litre fire extinguishers and why?