A £300,000 scheme to improve Killough Road / St. Patrick’s Avenue / Stream Street junction in Downpatrick (known as Collins Corner) will commence on 12 August 2019.
The works include a new footway on Killough Road which will benefit pedestrians. The scheme will also deliver a left turn lane from Pound Lane, an upgrade to the existing traffic signal equipment and the introduction of a one way traffic system on Stream Street from the junction towards Racecourse Hill. This should improve traffic progression through the junction.
Due to the nature of the scheme it will be necessary to operate a number of off peak road and lane closures. Signed diversions will be provided. Further details of these will be made available on trafficwatchni.com when required.
In order to help ensure the safety of road users and road workers the public is asked to comply with all temporary traffic restrictions and to drive with care when travelling through, or in the vicinity of, the works. Pedestrian access will be maintained at all times.
The Department has carefully planned these road works and traffic management arrangements to minimise any inconvenience, however road users should expect some delays and allow additional time when planning any journeys.
Completion of the scheme by November 2019 is dependent on favourable weather conditions. The Department will keep the public informed of any change.
For traffic information about this and other improvement schemes visit: http://www.trafficwatchni.com.
Notes to editors:
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office on 028 9054 0007 or email: email@example.com. Out of hours please contact the duty press officer on 028 9037 8110.
- The work is being partially funded by Newry Mourne and Down Council.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra and on Facebook @DepartmentforInfrastructure.
- £108,000 footway improvement scheme at Highfield Drive, Belfast 18 February 2020
- Update: New traffic signals scheme on the A2 Belfast to Bangor Road 18 February 2020
- Mallon announces £500,000 investment for A36 Moorfields Road, Ballymena 17 February 2020
- Mallon commits to turning Northern Ireland’s lights back on 17 February 2020