Infrastructure Minister Nichola Mallon has welcomed the completion of an active travel scheme on the A6 Foreglen Road that will enhance provision for pedestrians and cyclists.
The latest scheme, funded with an allocation of £125,000 from the Minister’s Blue Green Fund, involved the construction of 640 metres of shared footway and cycleway along the hard shoulder of the existing A6, just east of Foreglen village between Dungiven and Claudy. With the completion of earlier phases on the A6 Foreglen Road active travel facilities on this stretch of the road network have been extended for a distance of approximately 3km.
Minister Mallon said:
“I am committed to creating more active travel opportunities and developing sustainable infrastructure projects which will make walking, wheeling and cycling a safer and more attractive option for people getting around while at the same time helping to tackle the climate crisis.
“In the previous financial year my Department delivered active travel enhancements on the A6 Foreglen Road at a total cost of £261,300. The completion of this new scheme, with an allocation of £125,000 from my Blue/Green Fund will bring further benefits for the local community offering sustainable, cleaner and greener transport options.
“I am also pleased to say that I have allocated £1.6million of funding from my Blue/Green Fund to progress an additional seven schemes in 2021/22 in the Causeway Coast and Glens Council area. These schemes will further enhance the active travel provision for residents and visitors to the area for many years to come.”
Notes to editors:
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra and on Facebook @DepartmentforInfrastructure
- Infrastructure Minister meets Mental Health Champion 28 February 2024
- Dalradian Gold Ltd - Minerals Planning Application LA10/2017/1249/F and NIE Networks – Powerline Planning Applications LA10/2019/1386/F & LA11/2019/1000/F 26 February 2024
- O’Dowd invests additional £8.1m to repair the road network 25 February 2024
- Infrastructure Minister welcomes suspension of transport strike 25 February 2024