Essential construction work on Barnetts Road, Belfast is due to recommence on Monday 15 June and is expected to last around 14 weeks.
The work will strengthen the Comber Greenway embankment and provide a new footway and masonry wall supported on concrete piles along Barnetts Road between Kings Road and Thornhill Parade. The new footway will enhance active travel opportunities in the area and improve access to the Comber Greenway.
To facilitate the work and ensure the safety of the public and road workers, it will be necessary to close Barnetts Road to through traffic between Kings Road and Thornhill Park from Monday 22 June until Friday 17 July 2020.
A one way lane closure will then operate from Saturday 18 July until Friday 18 September 2020 when traffic will be permitted to travel from Kings Road towards Thornhill Park.
A full road closure will again be required at the end of the works to allow for final resurfacing.
To help ensure the safety of road users and road workers, we would ask the public to follow diversionary signs, comply with all temporary traffic restrictions and to exercise extra care when travelling in the area. Access to all properties will be maintained, and cyclists and pedestrians will still be able to connect with the Comber Greenway.
While all efforts will be made to minimise disruption, road users can expect some disruption and are advised to allow additional time when planning their journeys.
The planned dates for the scheme are subject to favourable weather conditions and the Department will keep the public informed of any change. All work will be carried out in line with current public health and health and safety advice, with safe systems of working in place for staff and contractors.
This work will complete the Barnetts Road improvement scheme which included a widening and realignment of the carriageway and new footways on Barnetts Road between Kings Road and Thornhill Parade.
Full details of any planned traffic restrictions will be available on our TrafficwatchNI website at: http://trafficwatchni.com
Notes to editors:
1. All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office at: email@example.com.
2. The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Mallon to extend Theory Test Pass Certificates for learner drivers. 08 July 2020
- Resurfacing scheme for Belfast Road, Newry 08 July 2020
- Road improvement scheme for O’Neill Road, Newtownabbey 08 July 2020
- Resurfacing scheme for Knocknashinna Road, Downpatrick 07 July 2020