Newry, Mourne and Down council members have been updated on programmed infrastructure works for the area by the Department for Infrastructure.
Speaking as he addressed council members this evening, Divisional Roads Manager, Simon Richardson said:
“Over the next year, the Newry Mourne and Down area will see the completion of a number of infrastructure projects, including: junction improvements at Collins Corner, Downpatrick and Abbey Way/Boat Street in Newry; footway provision in Mayobridge village; realignment of the roundabout at the Dundrum Road/Castlewellan Road in Newcastle; and the completion of a shared footway/cycleway and 2 new Toucan crossings on Carnbane Road and Shepherds Way in Newry.
“We will also be completing a significant programme of resurfacing schemes across the district including: A37 Concession Road, Cullaville; B27 Upper Dromore Road, Burren; B1 Ardglass Road, Downpatrick; B175 Edendarriff Road, Ballynahinch; A2 Strangford Road, Ardglass; and Rooney Road, Kilkeel.
“These projects will realise significant benefits for both the local community and commuters in Newry Mourne and Down.”
Mr Richardson continued:
“It is clear that the recent severe winter has had a significant detrimental impact on the road network and the Department will continue to identify those roads most in need of repair and prioritise this work alongside other ongoing priorities. Almost 40,000 surface defects have been repaired in the last few months.
“The 2018/2019 roads structural maintenance capital budget is £75m. Of that, £15m has been set aside for a roads recovery fund which is being used to address areas of immediate need across the road network.
“The ongoing maintenance programme will also include an enhanced grass cutting service to ensure all roadside verges and sightline grass will be cut at least twice in the period April‑October, and a full weed spraying service. This work has now commenced across the region.”
Notes to editors:
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Infrastructure Press Office on 028 9054 0007 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Out of hours please contact the duty press officer via pager number 07623 974 383 and your call will be returned.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @deptinfra and on Facebook @DepartmentforInfrastructure
- £161,000 resurfacing scheme for Rathkeel Road, Broughshane 21 February 2019
- £280,000 road improvement scheme at Ballygomartin Road, Belfast 19 February 2019
- DVA enforcement officers to wear body worn video cameras 19 February 2019
- £150,000 road improvement scheme for Gravelhill Road, Lisburn 18 February 2019