The Department of the Environment issued a consultation document on 31 May 2013 which ran until 16 September 2013. Its purpose was to seek views on a number of proposals for change to the Approved Driving Instructor (ADI) / Approved Motorcycle Instructor (AMI) schemes operating in Northern Ireland including:
- amendments to the trainee licence scheme;
- changes to the requirements for those with a medically restricted driving licence who wish to become ADIs;
- the mandatory registration of B+E (car + trailer) trainers;
- which documents should be regarded as guidance issued by the Registrar and which therefore must be adhered to as a condition of registration; and
- the introduction of powers of immediate suspension from the Registers of driving or motorcycle instructors who would pose a significant threat to the safety of members of the public if their registration were not suspended.