The Order will revoke and replace existing bus lanes and introduce new lengths of bus lanes in Belfast and Dundonald. The bus lanes will all operate between 7.00 am and 7.00 pm Monday to Saturday inclusive. During the hours of operation only buses, cycles, motor cycles and permitted taxis (as defined below) and certain specified vehicles are permitted.
The bus lanes will operate as follows:
East Corridor country bound —
- East Bridge Street from a point 54 metres east of Oxford Street to a point 19 metres west of link road to Short Strand; and
- Albertbridge Road (2 lengths) from a point 23 metres west of Cluan Place to a point 186 metres east of Stonyford Street; and
- Upper Newtownards Road (10 lengths) from a point 42 metres west of Irwin Avenue to a point 133 metres east of Cherryhill Road.
East Corridor city bound —
- Upper Newtownards Road (11 lengths) from a point 89 metres west of Brooklands Road to a point 26 metres east of Ravenscroft Avenue; and
- Albertbridge Road (3 lengths) from a point 12 metres east of Skipton Street to a point 9 metres east of Ravenhill Road; and
- East Bridge Street from a point 48 metres west of Mays Meadow to a point 56 metres west of Stewart Street.
West Corridor country bound —
- Divis Street (2 lengths) from a point 63 metres west of Barrack Street to a point 54 metres east of Albert Street; and
- Falls Road (7 lengths) from a point 45 metres west of Albert Street to a point 35 metres north of a point opposite Sliabh Mor Heights; and
- Andersonstown Road (3 lengths) from a point 16 metres south of a point opposite Andersonstown Park to a point 80 metres east of Finaghy Road North; and
- Stewartstown Road from a point 122 metres south of a point opposite Lagmore Dale to a point 15 metres north of a traffic island on approach to McKinstry Road Roundabout.
West Corridor city bound —
- Stewartstown Road (5 lengths) from a point 62 metres north of Lagmore Dale to a point 46 metres east of Conor Rise; and
- Andersonstown Road (4 lengths) from a point 33 metres west of Killeen Park to a point 10 metres south of Andersonstown Park; and
- Falls Road (7 lengths) from a point 8 metres north of Andersonstown Park to a point 42 metres west of Northumberland Street; and
- Divis Street (2 lengths) from a point 39 metres east of Northumberland Street to a point 120 metres east of Townsend Street.
The Order will also restrict waiting by all vehicles including buses, cycles, motor cycles and permitted taxis to no more than 2 minutes and, in certain circumstances, vehicles displaying a disabled persons badge to no more than 10 minutes
Permitted taxi means a taxi which is either –
(i) licensed to stand or ply for hire on a road or public place and subject to the Bye-Laws made in respect of Motor Hackney Carriages standing or plying for hire made by the Council of the county Borough of Belfast on 4 June 1951 and which meets the specifications prescribed by regulation 41 of the Public Service Vehicles (Condition of Fitness, Equipment and Use) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 1995; or
(ii) licensed to operate carriage services under the road service license provision of Part II of the Transport Act (Northern Ireland) 1967.
Inspecting the proposals
Full details are contained in the draft Order which together with maps showing the roads involved may be inspected free of charge during office hours within the period below at the follosing address:DfI Roads Eastern Division
4 Hospital Road
Should you wish to make an appointment please call 0300 200 7893.
Making an objection
Any person may object or make other representations, specifying the grounds on which they are made, by writing to the Department at the address above or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org up to 12 January 2018.
Any information you give, including personal information, could be published or disclosed under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (FOIA) or the Environmental Information Regulations (EIR). For further details on confidentiality, the FOIA and EIR please refer to https://www.ico.org.uk